Monday, April 7, 2008

Week 9- Thing 22

I'm so glad to see that books and other materials now in the public domain are being made available through digitization. For free or for a slight fee, we now have access to many of the classics. I especially enjoyed looking at some of the free children's books that were available. I took the time to read a bit of A Little Princess by Francis Burnett and discovered some titles by Kate Douglas Wiggin that I had never seen before. What a treat to visit some of my old favorites!

Having these eBooks available, will help those of us in cash-strapped libraries (and who of us isn't right now) provide a bit more depth for our students by making some of these older titles available. With initiatives like Project Gutenberg and LibriVox, more and more of our cultural heritage is being made accessible. These are sources that I will revisit long after this course is over.

No comments: