Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Week 7 - Thing 16

I must admit that I approached wikis with some preconceived notions. I have never been a big proponent of the Wikipedia and, in fact, tend to steer my students aways from that source. I was impressed, however, with many of the Wikis that I looked at. The subject guides on the St. Joseph County Library System were great and very user friendly. Equally useful was the Library Sources website, which I saved as a favorite. I must admit, though, that I was most impressed by the teacher created Wikis that are being used to disseminate class information and to encourage collaboration among students. In fact, I e-mailed the English 10 Wiki to a couple of our English teachers and sent the APWH Wiki to our Social Studies director as an example of what we could do here for some of our classes. I have looked into establishing a Wiki and using it either with a subject teacher for one of our co-teaching experiences or as a portal into our media center. Each "thing" leaves me with so much to think about that it is hard to absorb it all!

No comments: